Monday, June 19, 2006

Monkey Brains





Lisa Solomon
is an artist that I haven't met..yet. I stumbled across her blog one day and immediately was envious of her work.I was lucky enough to convince her to partake in the
Lucky Dip Art swap and was even more thrilled when her swap partner turned out to be my husband. It was probably the only way I could get something of hers hanging on my walls.Not only does she have time to do a drawing a day.She also has her own T-shirt and Bag company
I can barely manage a shower a day,let alone a company, blogsite, drawings daily and create art.It was impossible to just choose a few of her art to post.You will have to go to her site and spend the time viewing it all,it's well worth it.

Do you have a collection?


** yes I do. I have been very lucky and have been able to trade with many friends whose work I admire. I also used to work in a contemporary art gallery and received some amazing pieces from artists as gifts.

Where is your favorite place to create?


**my studio and my home

What is your favorite building?


** I don’t know if I have one....I do have a fondness for architectural details of all sorts.

If you could have invented anything,what would it have been/or be?

** a money tree ??

Name three things you would like to do before you die?


** only 3? This is too hard!

What do you need to create art?

** my thoughts, the right frame of mind, my art supplies

What's your favorite piece of art hanging in your house right now?


** too hard... Have more than one favorite

Do you collaborate with others?


** sometimes. I do really like collaborating with like minds

Do you work on more then one piece at a time?


** YES

Do you share your work with others before it is finished?


** sometimes... rarely

Do you listen to music while you're working? If so what?


** YES!! so many different things.... Neko case, cub country, tom waits, nick cave, radiohead are often on... So is NPR or This American Life

If you could be commissioned by anyone who would it be and what would you create for them?

** drawing a blank on this one

If you could commission anyone to do art for you, who would it be?

** I think I would love to have anything by Eva Hesse. Of course seeing that she’s dead, that might not be possible, but.... Theoretically...

How do you know when something is finished?


** it feels done. I can’t see what else I would do to it.

what or who influences your work?

** everyone and everything. I get inspired by nature, but rust, by sentences that I read... Movies that I see.... I feel sometimes like I’m a colander and things just run through me {I like the idea of a colander because it also can serve as a bowl to hold things}.

If you could curate a group exhibition of any artists since the dawn of time, who would you include and why?


** oh this is a tough one.... Eva Hesse {duh}. Vermeer.... I can never get enough of his compositions and use of light..... Anne Wilson, Ghada Ahmer, Gees Bend Quilts, Marcel Dzama, Rivane Neuenschwander, Agnes Martin, Mindy Shapero, Philip Guston, Robert Gober, Indian Miniature paintings, ... I could go on forever. This show doesn’t really have any thematic unity, but would just be moving to me. All these people have taken my breath away, or made me laugh, or made me think. I think I’m often drawn to pattern, to texture, to an obsessive way of making.... This is actually a short list, but I guess my brain can only whirr for so long

What is your favorite museum, gallery, place to see art and why?


** I don’t have a favorite. I do like seeing art in people’s homes, though. How they live with it. And also in the artist’s studio.

What has been the most unique thing you've used to create art with?

** I dunno. Rifle targets, crocheted electrical wire?

What do you wish your art tasted like?


** panna cotta. Without a doubt!

3 comments:

lisa solomon said...

oh my mylissa - i am so honored and humbled by what you say about me... jeez... thanks!

i'm super glad your hubby got my piece and that's certainly not the only way to get a piece from me :)

mati rose said...

i love this! thank you!

Anonymous said...

oh what fun!!!