Friday, July 07, 2006

Merbird Sings



Meadow lives and works in Portland. She currently is in the woods,making food.

Do you have a collection?

a collection of rocks, sticks and feathers: yes.

a collection of art: yes.
the most that i've ever paid for art:
20 dollars. most is due to gift or trade.

Where is your favorite place to create?

as i don't have the luxury of studio space,
i usually spread out all over the floor.

What is your favorite building?

i like architects more than buildings.

If you could have invented anything ,what would it have been/or be?

technology is an anathema to me. i'd rather uninvent a few things.

Name three things you would like to do before you die?


1)travel to germany.
2)roadtrip on a vintage vespa.
3)open a co-operatively owned community arts/healing center

What do you need to create art?


The spontaneous urge. If I plan anything too much
it seems to tangle my creativity. The free time
is hard to find while being in graduate school.
Luckily, I find ways to weave art into
everyday things.

What's your favorite piece of art hanging in your house right now?

my own art: the series of undergarments i made
from sewing together torn-up pages of my old diaries
that are now functioning as a lampshades throughout the house.
other folks art: miniature owl drawings in gold frames by my friend, L'art.

Do you collaborate with others?

Yes, in fact, right now, I'm in the process of gathering
experimental soundtracks which will be the inspiration for
spontaneous performance art in the near future.
I love the idea of connecting folks who might
otherwise never be connected.

Do you work on more then one piece at a time?

Indeed, I do.
I also complete a lot of things spontaneously,
in a single sitting.

Do you share your work with others before it is finished?


I find that when I am about ready to abandon something,
if I share it with a friend, they usually have a clearer
eye to see its redeemable qualities.
And then, there are those friends that tell you
the truth when something is worth letting go of.

Do you listen to music while you're working? If so what?

Yes, but it depends on my mood.

If you could be commissioned by anyone who would it be and what would you create for them?

I know it sounds silly, but i'd like to make circus costumes.

If you could commission anyone to do art for you, who would it be?

I'd like to gather some permaculture artists to revamp my yard.

How do you know when something is finished?

My body and mind feel lighter.

What or who influences your work?

Nature. Dreams. Everyday experiences.

If you could curate a group exhibition of any artists since the dawn of time, who would you include and why?

I don't know how to answer this question.

What is your favorite museum, gallery, place to see art and why?

Lately I've been thinking about how the fine art world has completed
removed the tradition of folk art, the need to create art in order
to create community bonding, for spiritual ritual, for cultural
preservation--not just the preservation of the elite and
educated. I sound like some kind of reverse snob,
but I suppose I am most touched by art in the
immediate environment that is entirely incidental,
spontaneous, anonymous, evidence that the creative
process is alive at all moments all around us in the ordinary.

What has been the most unique thing you've used to create art with?

Ladybugs.

What do you wish your art tasted like?


Non-sweetened habiscus tea with lemon.
In other words, tart and straight to the point.
But also, hot cocoa with cinnamon,
warm, romantic and sweet.

No comments: